Saturday, August 19, 2017

Coming Back From Debilitating Knee Injury!

Training Variables: 

Coming back from debilitating knee injury! Inspired by Richard Bedard who wrote Saving My Knees and who also blogs weekly or more on the subject.

When looking for information on how to save my own knees. I blew out both my knees three months ago. I came across his blog and immediately could see he knew what was going on and built a program based on what I knew about cycling, running, and walking. I am not a PT physical therapist or a doctor. I am a certified teacher and as such have had training on teaching physical education, but I believe the majority of the information found here can be gleamed off of online exercise sites. Its specificity for knee-pain sufferers was inspired by Saving My Knees.
http://savingmyknees.blogspot.com

Only you know what you can do. Tenet: Less is more. Caution is better than grit!

This year with much analytical concentration and caution: fall '17

Paradigm Shift:
Not just patience, but you're dealing with soft-tissue time. (Richard's Pitch Experiment). Weeks -n- months although you'll know the next day you did something wrong. 
Remember, do not ramp up too fast or like old times. No accelerations, never out of the saddle, no hills, no kidding!

Good Knee Care Habits: After a bout of exercise 1 to 1.5 hour rest before next thing. (Cycle).
Below 60 degrees embrocation or knee warmers.

10 minute rest half way on long walks in order to not start hurting.(2k steps @ a mile) 4k steps per day maintenance

Beginning 70 steps several times a day walking the dog, going back to the car.

101 steps around X every 10 minutes (Richard started at the pool, I have started walking the dog.

10% increase every two weeks. As a runner this was the rule of thumb. In marathon running it moved to one week, but then on the fourth week you go back to where you were at the beginning of the month. Remember: less is more.

Minutes before 15 : now 5, 7, 13 - Primes

80 rpm @ first for 15 min. 1200 revs
Build time in the saddle up to thirty minutes 2400 revs. Once you can do two sets of thirty then you're adding thirty to what you can already do. 15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22/23/24/ 25/26/27/28/29+30+30+30+30+30

~£¥$|¢^√π°=÷×{}¶∆\∆¶}{×÷=°π√^¢•|£
4th year with cautious optimism:

Saturday ride - long, strenuous, hilly up to three hours 40 miles Fast and 20 miles easy

Sunday-60 minutes flat or trainer easy pedaling

Tue. -N- Thurs. 45 minutes on trainer or flats 10 easy warm up and 35 minutes faster, but still not intense 

Mon. Wed. Fri. Walk 2 miles each day

@#€_&-+()/@#€_&-+()/@#
Eventually - eventually:
After a year of cautious progress:

Less is more keep three steady and change one to improve

Duration - how long - 2hrs conversational pace

Frequency - #of rides per 10 daze

Volume - combo of dur. N freq.

Intensity . Ride 4 60-90 mins warm-up n cool-down . 6x6mins w/4mins recovery (recovery equals easy cheesy

Reco : 45 mins whistle ride (a whistle ride is one where you're going slow enough to whistle) not as easy as it sounds!


VvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvV
5-20 minutes in the pool adding minutes as you get better trained.

2 comments:

Bobster said...

Hi It's Monday morning, took all of Sunday off no pain so lots of gain! Today, though I have a bit of a nag in the left knee and still have to do some physical work at the school this afternoon so I opted for no trainer ride this AM. I was going to do 30 mins. at 90 RPM

OCN: Zero yesterday and today, crosstraining type activities later in the day.
LBS: 285 just four pounds off my all-time high. Today I get rid of trash-carbs.
Nutrition: I'm good yesterday today let's see if the plan works.

Bobster said...

Looks like I need to reformat above. Sorry! On my phone it looked ok, ha!

So yesterday at a silly relay thing we were doing for team building at school I found myself running up the ramp at school that has given me such trouble! Our team won, yay! But last night, I could feel that I had "done me wrong, wrong!" The eight hours plus sleep has done wonders, but I can still feel something. Today should be an easy day at work mostly sitting!

Thanks again Richard et al hope your comeback story continues in the positive!

OCN: None since Saturday, major cross-train on Monday moving my classroom
LBS: Back to 283 or something, I'm not holding my breath! I may have to go buy some pants before next week!
Nutrition: I'm in the positive!