Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Avoiding the Primes

So today, I was supposed to start a very slow and arduous process, but since I felt pretty good and excited about the future, I said, "what the hell, I'll go for it!" "Future's so bright I gotta wear shades!" Huey Lewis.

I was going to start nice and slow with 3,5,7,9,11,13, and 15 minutes. But 15 minutes being the increment cyclists use to build time in the saddle, I felt a strong pull. Old habits die hard!

I have spent a month going really slow and doing absolutely nothing so I dared to step it up. Mind you, my wife and I already have two failed attempts at restarting our walking regime both times over-doing it and paying the price.

Yup, I did it! I rode my time trial bike on the trainer downstairs. My Caloi Strada Pro is set up on the Cyclops Trainer downstairs. It will be perfect for this because the front derailleur is busted and it works on tension and there is no way I can get it on to the 52 tooth big ring! I set the Cyclops Trainer at no resistance and left it on the easiest freaking gear! (BTW Richard, if you're reading this I even tried freewheeling {spinning backwards for a little} yup truly easy). I am not very good with pacing; when trying 80 rpm I kept ending up at 60 rpm so I bumped it to 90. When reading savingmyknees
.blogspot.com that the lowest gear would be too easy, I was not convinced. Well, after three months of doing diddley-squat, using the easiest gear feels like something. Very appropriate for the lack of movement I had been relegated to. Also, since I'm writing this over two hours after my forray into this 15 minute craziness, I'm good. No gain! No pain! Or should I say, "Slow gain! No pain!" Let's hope that tomorrow or in two days it's still the same.

Rationale: For over a month now, I have taken 90 steps stopped rested, stretched my back or worked a little on biceps and triceps 3Xs a day and sometimes more. Then, took my 90 steps back stopping at 60, 70, and 80. Now you may think that's kind of weird! Not if you're out walking your headstrong chihuahua, 🥜 Peanut! I speak to her in Portuguese, Spanish, and English, but it doesn't matter she still does whatever the hell she wants.

Stats or the OCN: back in the day of listservs, running.rec there was a group called the Dead Runners Society. The listgods said you could write about anything related to running as long as you posted an ORN: an obligatory running note. Since this is a cycling blog I will post an OCN: 15 minutes plus 1 minute because I can (Scott Cutshall who lost 320 pounds riding a bike would do one extra time around the block and eventually an extra mile just to prove to himself that he could). Poundage is at 280.3 At my heaviest I went up to 289 pounds a mere two years ago. My wife and I had success making little changes for big improvements. And walking, notice not cycling! I had averaged 4,000 miles per year for many years, but it was not ideal to lose weight.
On nutrition I'm in the negative, I am eating less than what I have expended.

No comments: