Friday, August 18, 2017

Every Other Day, Sort-Of!

Post for Monday the 14th of August 11:36 AM Lunch Ride_ Out in the Sticks!_brksC17w/CO 100/60'117

On Monday, I got back out there after taking Sunday to totally veg out! Can you tell I'm not a great fan of the trainer downstairs?! I can see that in myself.

I went out on the trails for the first time to see how my body would react to the extra effort required to ride on the dirt. Some folks say that a 1.5 hour ride on the trail is like a 3 hour road ride. At the same time the trails that are closest to my house needed some love and care so kept getting off the bike to move huge logs (dumb because I could see me using the same musculature that got me in trouble with my knees in the first place). So rather than use grit, I decided to finesse this huge log, 'bout the size of a Smart Car! I just rocked it back and forth until I could nudge it out of the way of the trail single-track. I felt smart for finding a different way to git 'er done. Before I would have just picked it up and moved it :-). Darned the consequences!

Since I was being cautious I made sure anytime I had to do something that would require me to get out of the seat or jump over anything I would dismount. Since much of the trail lay unused, over the past year many trees had fallen to block the single-track. There were times where I was just walking from one fix of the trail to another. I only managed 5.1 MPH and in a 1 hour and 40 minutes I only managed about 8.5 miles which is right in range for what I've been doing.

Rationale: When I first started riding I came from running and went into trail riding to strengthen the different musculature that is used on the bike. I'm am pulling out all the stops to get the ball rolling smoothly again. My transition to Mtn. Biking and then road riding was effortless more than ten years ago.

OCN: 1:39.59 for 8.5 miles
Lbs.: 281.4
Nutrition: Toeing the line

No comments: