Monday, October 07, 2019

No Elasticity

Elasticity: The ability to bounce back in less than 24 hours from a seemingly hard bout of exercise to continue on your journey of attaining training effect! A lot of times it seems like it's an experiment of one. (But at the same time figuring something out for yourself is what counts so it is warranted). Yes, Dr. Mirkin (a cyclist, blogger, e-zine writer doctor {retired} in his 80s) has been saying for years that the older you get the longer it takes to recover from a bout of exercise. This hit me hard this weekend!

On Saturday, I awoke fine, no issues! Went for my ride on my Caloi Time Trial Rig. (TT) The seat that is in the picture is not the seat I used. I actually was testing out a new to me Bianchi RoyaleGel seat that had some suspension. Everything worked fine, no issues with the seat. Once I adjusted the height a little bit once again, I was fine.

I had planned to get out at six AM, but no the dog had other ideas! Her new thing is she won't get up at all for me. She finally came to get me around nine AM. So that means I got out at a little bit passed 10. Which, with the heat, it is cutting it pretty close. 90 degrees in the day normally hits right around one or two PM. I had all my sun protection garb on that gives me an SPF of 50. Not bad! So I was trying for about three hours, but ended up going for about four hours. No problem, I thought I had been doing four hour rides for over two months now.

The ride itself felt really easy! Even the last bit that is normally a struggle was just as easy as the beginning! So, I thought I had dodged a bullet until later that afternoon.

Gayle and I went to WD Deli, our favorite sandwich shop, the first indication that all was not fine was when sitting down I almost topped the little table over. Getting up to get refills was a real struggle. Later we went to Hot Wells on the South Side to see what the hoopla was all about and when getting out of the car hurt. I knew I had overdone it!

Sunday's 6 AM ride was delayed because of issues with my lights. I don't normally run lights on the TT rig, I put some on, but they wouldn't stay on. So I was much later than normal to catch up with the guys and gals from @ction Bikes I would have to burn some rubber (impossible to do on a bike unless you're stopping, but you catch my drift!) Early on I got to a couple of good numbers 18 mph, 19 mph! But it was short lived, I could feel the anvils that my legs had become.

I gave up the chase, but still completed the route so it became a recovery ride instead of a short bout of speed work.

No comments: