Monday, December 31, 2012

End of Year Recap

When thinking about your accomplishments in fitness this season: What one word describes your 2012 fitness? I would say the word that best describes 2012 is: setbacks. As I get older, time limitations, and ganas play a part in these setbacks. I'm older and need to reassess how I train. Time limitations in relation to being older also impact training. Finally I don't have the ganas to train 24/7 - I don't want to wash my clothes that often! Ha!

Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year? Actually the last time I did this was in 2008, but I'm a very positive person - I'm sure I had big ideas of regaining lost training effect and rejoining the fast-guys in Chainreaction, and setting a PR in the 100 miler.

What one word comes to mind when you think about your 2012 season? I would say the word that best describes 2012 is challenging. Challenges in weigh loss, in training, and in health with heart issues.

Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport? I was boring; I did not try any new races or distances this year.

What was your greatest thrill or joy this year from training or racing? The greatest thrill and joy is still riding in a paceline at great speeds in training. I enjoy riding in groups. I can't leave this question without mentioning my PR at the 40K distance in training of 2:00 which I am still mystified as to how. I lolly-gagged for 3/4 of the distance and then burned rubber the last part and still set a PR. Go figure! It would seem that the new set-up on the Caloi Strada Pro TT Rig is what's doing the trick.

What was your biggest disappointment this year from training or racing? Not being able to ride with Chainreaction from being overweight and slow. Still am slow, but am working on the overweight bit by being 16.5 pounds less from 260! Ouch, it's difficult to see that number! Atkins is making a difference.

What was your favorite race in 2012? Pancakes in Paradise is still an awesome event and being there with Matt Little was epic. The Fiesta Wildflower is still such a large production and I guess I will keep attempting the long routes despite the DNF this year - although I still ended up with 92. The Tour de Gruene is still great fun despite all the trouble I had with the chain and flats.

How important was the social aspect of your sport in 2012? The social aspect is crucial to my enjoyment. Maintaining my weight through proper nutrition so that the training and speed can return is imperative or I will have to relegate myself to riding in a different manner.

If you had to name three people that made a difference in your training this year who would they be? The three people I would name are: Joe Montagna as I describe as a constant companion although of late we only ride together once in a while; Chris Groff for motivation I guess because I know I train to stay in shape for soccer with the kids and we always talk about training; and Jason Pronovost a new rider with CycleLogic with similar goals of achieving long-distances. I guess honorable mentions go out to Scott and Louie with Chainreaction - no matter what they're always supportive. I just wish I could keep up with them.

Season Goals for 2013:

Short-Term Goal: Concentrate on losing weight while building base miles. Thank you economy for the impetus.

Intermediate Goal: 200 Lbs - lean, massive, cycling machine! Top five on Thursday Night Bike Mojo Ride, Finish with the Chainreaction Racers, try establishing a Randonneurs group in South Texas.

Season: Race 100K beat 4:03 plan and complete a Brevet 200K distance event, and Support Cycle Logic Sponsors through referrals, participation and some racing (MTB Time-Trial) :-)

Training Objectives:

+Screw periodization ride when you can and lots in the Summer (Still got 4378 in 2012 so there)
+Hold/Concentrate on Long Ride (with weight loss speed will come)
+Less-structured speed play
+Maintain Nutrition with Atkins - lose it or lose the fun
+Explore on Rides combine Routes 

No comments: