Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Who do you LiveStrong for?

My reason for living strong will be changing soon, Betty my mother in law, a 17 year cancer survivor has decided that the battle is better fought from the other side. When faced with horrible options the one she chose was to die in peace and live again in a perfect body on the other side. She is in hospice care right now and expected to leave us anytime. The peace that passeth all understanding has filled all of us and are confident that concentrating on quality of life is the right decision. It is still sad, but what awaits her is better than what she has now.

I picked Betty as my reason to live strong because my Mom at the time was fine, but recently my Mom has been diagnosed with cancer in her Salivary Gland. Doctors don't think it wise to attack it because returning the patient to the state they were before attacking the cancer at the age of 87 is very difficult and would prove a diffcult time for her final days.

When Betty leaves this mortal plane I will continue to LiveStrong for Doris!

3 comments:

Bobster said...

Betty Lois Smith Andreen left us on Thursday at 2:45 about 45 minutes after a dear friend of hers came to visit. Her friend a fellow cancer survivor meant a lot to her and she meant an awful lot to Mary. BetLo left us peacefully by simply not taking a breath. My wife and her Dad were right there and she happened to slip away while they were not looking. The night before the whole family surrounded her again letting her know it was ok to go. Hospice is the way to go rather than dying on an operating table or in the surgical ICU. Quality of life, dignity and no pain is the way to slip slide and away!

Bobster said...

Today I did BetLo's memorial ride! I hadn't ridden since this whole ordeal and eventual journey commenced. I needed to be there for the family. Today while most of the family was still snoozing I took the ti stead around places of beaty in our fair city! I started in our beautiful Alamo Heights neighboring neighborhood, floated through Olmos Park, trudged through the business district downtown on my way to the beautiful riverwalk wheelchair accessible section admiring the m r ducks l i b to my turn around in the King William Historical District and finally back up Broadway and home. One hour and 37 of bliss. I managed not to look at my speedometer once. My average wasn't revealed until I sat down to input stats. The whole time thinking about Betty her beauty, acceptance and love. I will be able to cherish this route forever! God blesses us when we least expect it! Peace be with you!

Bobster said...

Man do I have to get going with my training. If you're faced with the same challenge then try the President's Challenge link and lets take care of this together. Let me know how ya doin'